If you work in human resources and know a bit about employee benefits, then you know that the hottest topic in HR right now is wellness. But why is Employee Wellness so important?
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services noted these striking statistics about Americans in the workplace:
- 59% of employees do not get adequate exercise
- 50% or more have high cholesterol
- 27% have cardiovascular disease
- 26% are overweight by 20 percent or more
- 24% have high blood pressure
Karen Smith, Director of Health and Wellness Services for Rose & Kiernan, Inc. addresses the issue of wellness this way:
Employee health affects more than just medical costs. A healthy workforce is a more productive workforce. Did you know that between 70 to 90 percent of health care spending is caused by preventable, modifiable health risks such as lack of exercise and high cholesterol? Unhealthy lifestyle choices often lead to chronic diseases, costing businesses more than one trillion dollars in lost productivity alone. What all of this means is that promoting healthier behaviors can really pay off.
There are so many opportunities to help organizations improve the health & wellness of their employees, and with this in mind I’m excited to announce that the launch of Abenity’s new Employee Wellness platform is almost here. The new program will be included free for our Total Rewards and Managed Plus level clients.
Abenity’s new wellness platform brings together the resources your employees need to improve their Physical, Social, Emotional and Financial Wellness. And like all Abenity services it will be branded for your company and easy to integrate with existing wellness partner. Plus it will be connected with our perks and discount programs to offer your company a single destination for employee benefits, perks and discounts, wellness, rewards and recognition.
Abenity Wellness Platform Features include:
- Over 150 Healthy Recipes
- Over 200 Wellness Videos
- Ask Dr. Sam Question & Answer Form
- Private Abenity Wellness Store
- Monthly sweepstakes rewarding participating employees for sharing their healthy behaviors
- Over 300 Wellness Tips paired with actionable steps to move toward wellness
- Free pair of prescription eyeglasses with free upgrades on lenses and overnight shipping for every employee
- Free 30 minute Financial Wellness assessment for every employee
- Wellness Gifts, Prizes and Incentives
- Wellness Products Branded for Your Company (e.g.: Water Bottles, Pedometers, Sunscreen and more!)
Helping you improve the overall wellness of your organization is one of our main goals of the Summer of 2012. Stay tuned as Abenity prepares to launch our new Employee Wellness Program!