Summer is nearly here! I chose this recipe because it is a simple meal and great for the longer days we’ll get to experience the next few months. You may be familiar with Caprese Salad, and this recipe takes the simple concept of that salad and turns it into a hearty meal for the whole family. The chicken will easily please even the youngest diner while the pepper medley is sure to please any adult diner, which is great because you can cook only one meal while customizing each plate. I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as I did – happy summer!
[recipeingredients time=”30 minutes” servings=”4″ ingredients=”Chicken:
2 boneless, skinless, 8-ounce chicken breasts, sliced in half width-wise
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 cloves garlic
Pinch crushed red chili flakes
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
2 fresh sliced roma tomatoes
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, shredded
¼ cup basil, finely chopped
Mixed Pepper Medley
3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 pounds red, yellow and green peppers cut into thin strips
6 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup green olives, pitted and diced
2 tablespoons Gourmet Balsamic Vinegar
Kosher salt, to taste
To make the chicken:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large, wide, oven proof skillet over medium heat.
4. Add the garlic and chicken.
5. Cook the chicken for five minutes per side, turning once, or until golden.
6. Sprinkle the crushed red chili flakes over the chicken and squeeze the lemon juice over the top.
7. Top each piece of chicken with four roma tomato slices and ¼ of the shredded mozzarella. 8. Transfer to the oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is golden. This will take approximately 15 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil.
To make the mixed pepper medley:
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, wide skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the peppers and brown on each side.
3. Stir in the garlic and cook for one minute.
4. Add the green olives, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook the peppers for 20 minutes or until they are tender.
5. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and add salt, to taste. Top the medley with a piece of chicken before serving.